The forthcoming connection technology MHL i.e. Mobile High-Definition Link adapter is an industry standard interface for connecting mobile devices such as Smartphone or Tablet, to other Consumer Electronics devices such as Televisions, computer monitors or projectors. This technology is developed by the consortium of major consumer electronics companies including Nokia, Samsung, Sony, Silicon Image and Toshiba. The MHL is a connectivity solution to output videos, games, images, and much more from your small mobile device screen to a larger screen. The motive of the MHL consortium is to provide a new standard for connecting mobile devices to external monitor such as High-Definition TV.
Lots of people are unaware of the potential of MHL technology. The MHL technology can be used to watch stored videos on the large screen. When MHL combines with keyboard or mouse, it can turn your mobile device into a gaming console or desktop computer. Here is some explanation of MHL adapter cable that might help you to understand the benefits of this technology.
How is it used?
The MHL is used to mirror your mobile screen display to an HD television or computer monitor to get a larger display. One end of MHL cable is plugged into a micro-USB port of you Smartphone or tablet and another end is plugged into HDMI port of television or monitor screen. Once the connection is made, the contents in your MHL-enabled device are then mirrored on external screen. The MHL cable connected to your phone can also charge your device, so there is no need of having separate ports for charging and output display.
The MHL adapter cable simply mirrors your mobile device screen on big display so it is compatible with all apps. It lets you play games, read eBooks, send emails, browse the web and much more that you can do on your phone, onto a larger screen of your television.
Features/Uses of MHL
The MHL technology has many useful features that let you simultaneously charge and control your phone through standard TV remote. Some of the useful features of this technology are:
- Almost every product including Smartphone, tablets, Blu-ray player, audio/video receivers, monitors, projectors, adapters and much more are MHL-enabled. So these devices can be easily connected using MHL cable.
- This technology can be used with the combination of keyboard, mouse or gaming controller on the big screen to imitate console or desktop experience for the user. It is considered as a possible alternative of the game console or set-top box.
- MHL Smartphone can be paired with wireless game controller and games can be effortlessly played with zero lag on larger screen display.
- This technology can be used to charge your device while you are working with your apps or videos on large display.
- With the help of MHL, you can easily interact with infotainment system (such as satellite navigation) of your car through your phone.
- It can be used in the office for giving presentations by simply connecting your Smartphone to the projector. Contents on your Smartphone such as documents, videos, and slides will be easily displayed on the large screen.
- MHL also supports RCP (Remote Control Protocol) that allows you TV’s remote control buttons to access your phone’s content.
Versions of MHL
The versions of MHL that are available in market are:
These versions of MHL adapter allow 1080p uncompressed HD video and 8 channel uncompressed audio. It has built-in RCP function and supports High- Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDPC). It has 5-pin MHL USB connector.
This is an advanced MHL adapter to connect mobile devices, with some latest added features. It supports up to 4k formats (3840X2160) at 30 Hz. It has HID support for touch screen and other peripherals. It can charge the device of up to 10W and is backward compatible with MHL1 and MHL2.
It is the next generation MHL technology for mobile devices. It can support video quality up to 8K format. It has High Dynamic Range (HDR) support for better picture quality. It also has advanced connectivity configurations to link to multiple MHL devices and control them through one remote. It is backward compatible with MHL1, MHL2, and MHL3.
This MHL technology has numerous potential to provide connectivity features to your mobile and consumer electronic devices. It can charge your phone while mirroring the display. This feature can never be supported by a wireless link. No wireless technology has the capability to deliver all MHL’s feature in one connection.